Old December 16th 04, 06:44 AM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Greg wrote:

>A friend is having a lot of trouble with her door locks freezing on her
>'96 VW Golf. What is the best lubricant to use on these locks? I've
>heard good and bad things about silicone and graphite. Somebody also
>recommended lithium grease. I've been warned from using regular oils
>and grease because they can attract dirt over time.

I like to squirt in ethylene glycol antifreeze. If you have a
syringe, fine. Otherwise you can use a basketball inflation needle,
a plastic bag, and a rubber band to insert antifreeze. I think it
washes out the water, and makes any residual/new water not freeze.

Wipe off what drips out, of course.

This is a timely thread. Gotta do mine too.