Old February 21st 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default what's the condenser for on a mechanical voltage regulator?

"jim" > wrote in message

> > "jim" > wrote in message
> > ...\
> >
> > Kettering will work without a condensor.....for a short period of time.

> It will work at a much much lower voltage. The points themselves and the
> wiring have some capacitance but it needs more.

It works at a lower voltage because the inductive field has to collapse very
quickly
to give highest voltage. It cannot do that if the points are sparking.

> As I said remove the spark plug and you have a resonant circuit that
> will produce an AC waveform at the resonant frequency. Hook up an
> O-scope and try it if you don't believe me.

I am well aware that you will get a ringing waveform when the field
collapses.

> No they won't they will last forever because the engine won't run.

I have never tried it, actually, but concede that if it should start at all,
it wouldnt run for long. Have you actually ever tried this?