Old September 21st 04, 02:34 AM
Kent

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear; allow me to clarify. The transaxle is already
out of the car. I have a new clutch pack and flywheel to install. Now, let's
assume that I bolt up the new flywheel right now and go through your
recommended process of finding TDC. Okay, the flywheel is now properly
positioned for TDC. Unfortunately, I still can't properly mark TDC on the
flywheel because the timing pointer (the little pointer that you align with
the timing mark on the flywheel when timing the engine) is part of the
transaxle (cast near the timing hole on the bell housing), and the transaxle
is not in the car. Now, I could go ahead and reinstall the transaxle at this
point, after which I can mark TDC through the timing hole (since the timing
pointer is now there for reference). Now I have another problem: I think it
would be hard to accurately measure the required .472 inch arc length (6
deg. BTDC) from my TDC mark through the timing hole with the transaxle
installed. So the transaxle would have to come out again to gain access to
the flywheel so I can accurately position the ignition timing mark. Does
this make sense or am I totally clueless here?

--
Kent
1987 VW GTI 8V, original owner, 220,000+ miles

> wrote in message
> I am confused. You have a new flywheel, yes? You are going to install
> it through the 28 mm timing mark hole? You have to remove the tranny
> to install it. You mark it when the tranny is off. Or you can mark it
> when the tranny is installed. Does not matter. You have to install the
> new flywheel somehow. Bolt holes as a reference? I certainly could nto
> measure with any accurancy. How about if you make 360 marks on the
> flywheel Pick one that looks close when you install it. How do you
> define close. Get your dial indicator out and measure the top f the
> piston travel. You can get close by looking at the camshaft dimple
> referenced in your Bentley.
>
> "Kent" > wrote:
>
> >I understand what you guys are saying, but to identify TDC and mark the
> >flywheel by either method I'd have to first install the flywheel and the
> >transaxle since the timing pointer is part of the transaxle bell housing.
> >Unless I could then get a chisel or whatever through the timing hole to
> >properly mark TDC and then measure and mark the timing mark, I'd then

have
> >to remove the transaxle again. Hopefully I don't sound lazy, but due to
> >limited tool availability I benchpress the transaxle in and out.
> >
> >Since I have the old flywheel, why can't I just use a common reference

such
> >as the center of a bolt hole, and then measure the arc length distance to
> >the timing mark on the old flywheel using a flexible scale? This

dimension