Old May 15th 09, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
BuckerooBilly

Default Thumping noise related to flat tire fix?

>Honda Civic Hybrid 2008
>A few months ago, I got a flat tire at rear right, because of a nail
>in the garage. The shop fixed it by plugging glue to the hole. (How
>should I describe that?) I think it was around that time I started to
>hear thumping noice while driving, one thump for each turn of the
>wheel. I just rotated tires, rear right to front left, etc. The noise
>is just as loud if not louder. My question is, Is it necessary to do a
>wheel balance after the shop fixes a flat tire? What else could it be?
>I visually checked and used my hand to check the tire tread but can't
>find anything obvious. Thanks.
>
>Yong Huang

Find a better tire shop. The glue plug is a common "quick-fix-it" out
the door (sometimes they do it right in the parking spot) repair. If
it's big and heavy enough, and put on a properly balanced tire, then
yeah, it can throw it out, but usually it's not heavy enough to do
that.
Now, you'll have to have the tire dismounted (removed from the rim)
and inspected. If you're thumping, you might have tread separation,
something a glued plug can't prevent nor cure.