Old February 19th 18, 02:25 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
micky

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 18 Feb 2018 17:52:28 +0000, MrCheerful
> wrote:

>On 18/02/2018 17:10, ultred ragnusen wrote:
>> wrote:
>>
>>> He could be referencing the special torque bars that are used by many
>>> tire shops. They look like an extension bar, but they come in
>>> different thicknesses and are color coded to indicate the torque which
>>> can be applied using each one.

>> I just mean the right-angle simple bar extension that you have to have in
>> order to keep the torque wrench away from the sidewall of the tire.
>>
>> You have to have an extension no matter what, because the torque wrench
>> hits the tire sidewall because the lug nuts are on the hub but the tire
>> sidewall sticks out a few inches.
>>
>> Even a deep socket isn't long enough, so the least I can add by way of
>> extension is a deep socket plus a 2 or 3 inch extension bar (whatever I
>> have that is shortest).
>>
>> I was asking if I used a 3 inch extension bar off the deep socket, or, if I
>> used a 6 inch extension bar, would it matter for the torque?
>>
>> I think not - but I've heard people say use the shortest extension bar you
>> can get your hands on. I don't understand why. It should be the same torque
>> if I used a 16-inch extension bar, right?
>>

>no because some force will just be twisting the bar, Imagine a bar a
>mile long, you twist one end with a known force, the other end would not
>move.

But the extension is not a mile long and anything lost in twisting a 10"
extension is too small to measure. However if you have the extension so
it's tipped a little, not in line with the axis of the nut/bolt, then
some torque is not in the direction of turning the nut, and the longer
the extension, the more is lost. This happens when the socket is loose
on the nut, not especially lug nuts.