Old April 3rd 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
flarosa

Default Blinking red temperature light - what does it mean?

My car is a 2000 Beetle, 2.0 ltr gas engine.

About a week ago I suddenly got a blinking red temperature light while
driving. I had been driving about 20 minutes at the time. I checked
the coolant and oil, both were normal. The next two days I was fine
driving to work, which is about 10 minutes each way. The next day I
ran a few errands after work and I got the same blinking red light
after driving a little over 20 minutes. This is the light that looks
like a thermometer, not the check engine light - and doesn't turn red
and then start blinking later, it goes from off to blinking red right
away, accompanied by several beeps.

I made an appointment with VW to check it out, but they won't be able
to see me until next Wednesday.

Can anyone guess what this is, and whether it is safe to drive my car
for the next week until someone can fix it?

Thanks,

Frank