Old February 18th 18, 05:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
ultred ragnusen

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

wrote:

>>Third question is related to this combination pictu
>>http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/17/torquewrench.jpg
>>Where this question is a combination question of:
>>a. Why is the green 21mm "lug wrench" so very short compared to all others?

> To fit in the hole they store the tools in.

I can't disagree that the shape and length of a purposeful "lug wrench" is
designed just for removing lug nuts, so certainly that's why it's curved
the way it is (to fit around the tire sidewall).

Certainly smaller is easier to fit in a car.

Since you can't use a torque wrench and a lug wrench at the same time, I
was wondering if they made it just short enough so that a normal person
could not apply "too much" torque to the lug bolts?

Basically, I was asking if it's short because that way, a normal human can
only apply about 85 foot pounds which is all they can do with that short
bar and their hands?

Is that just an urban myth?