Old February 18th 18, 05:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Mrcheerful

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

On 18/02/2018 16:57, ultred ragnusen wrote:
> wrote:
>
>>> First question is what is the practical difference between these three 21mm
>>> (13/16ths) "sockets" for the lug bolts on the car I was working on today?
>>> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/17/socket_ends.jpg
>>> 1. The standard lug wrench (green) has 6 points, each at a sharp angle.
>>> 2. The impact socket (black) has 6 points, each at a semicircular angle.
>>> 3. The standard socket (chrome) has 12 points, each at a sharp angle.

>> The impact socket has a radius at the points to remove the stress
>> concentration that would split the socket when used with impact tools.
>> It also contacts the nut on the strong flank and not the weak point.

> That makes sense! So the rounded corners take the 'stress' off the nut and
> the rounded corner also takes the stress off from the potential for a
> hairline crack of the socket wall?
>
>> A full hex is better than a 12 point for nearly all uses.

> I was wondering if a 12-point is "weaker" than a 6 point?
> Is at 6 point stronger, weaker, or the same stress on a nut/socket as a 12
> point?
>
>> You can always
>> rotate the socket 1/4 turn on the 1/2" drive to get 12th of a turn when
>> space to swing the bar is tight.

> I never thought of that!
> The math confused me so may I reiterate what I "think" you just said?
>
> Am I correct in assuming you're saying that you can rotate a 12-point
> socket by 1/12th, while you can only rotate a 6-point socket by 1/6th ---
> but ... if you cleverly rotate /both/ the 6-point socket by 1/6th and the
> half-inch socket wrench end of the socket by 1/4, you get the same effect?

yes, but it is so rarely needed it is not worth worrying about