Old February 18th 18, 11:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
alan_m

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

On 18/02/2018 22:32, ultred ragnusen wrote:

> I can't stake my mortgage on the percentage but I did say one tenth of one
> percent, and I did easily count over fifty objects per tire, which is about
> 800 objects per year, which let's just call 1000 objects in a year for
> simplicity of math per set of four tires.
>
> One tenth of one percent of that number is 1 slow leak a year due to
> shards, which I agree might be too much.

My apologies, I did mis-read one tenth as ten percent.

However, even when I've had slow leaks its been objects that have fully
penetrated the tyre at the the time I ran over it, or a few rotations of
the wheel later. Nails and screws often cause a puncture but then until
removed either seal the puncture or cause a very slow leak

> Statistically speaking, I get your drift that it isn't worth removing
> shards from a tire just to prevent a slow leak every couple of years, but,
> anecdotally, what do you think this shard would have done, over time?
> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/18/splinter3.jpg

i) it would have fallen off.
ii) as the tyre wears it would have become the high spot and be ground
off by the road surface