Old April 23rd 13, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

Default radiator caps, cooling system pressure

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 19:40:05 -0400, "David L. Martel"
> wrote:

>Ashton,
>

>> No, the car is not overheating. It's never overheated. What happened
>> is that I installed an AC unit in this 60 Dodge. That has made it run
>> about 10 degrees hotter then it used to, mainly from just having the
>> condenser there in front of the radiator. So I was thinking about
>> whether it would be a good idea to go to a 13 pound cap instead of the
>> 7 pound one on it.

> I don't follow this. Your radiator is running about 10 deg. F (?) hotter
>with the AC, so what? Why is that a problem? You aren't anywhere near the
>boiling point of your coolant, are you? Assuming you have a 50:50 mixture
>and 7 psi your boiling point is about 255 deg. Changing to a 13 psi cap
>would improve things by raising the boiling point to about 270 deg.
> Unless you are getting close to 250 I don't understand why you want to do
>this. Be sure to check my math. These figures are quick guesstimates.
> Sorry, sounds like a waste of money. Keep an eye on the temp gauge this
>Summer though till you're sure.
>
>Dave M.

So far it's not a problem. I've just never run anything with such a
low pressure cap before. Some of my newer cars will run upwards of
235 on really hot days so I'm wondering if this one does will the 250
be enough of a cushion.