Old February 19th 18, 03:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
micky

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 18 Feb 2018 09:18:12 -0800, ultred ragnusen

>>>Third question is related to this combination pictu
>>>http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/17/torquewrench.jpg
>>>Where this question is a combination question of:
>>>a. Why is the green 21mm "lug wrench" so very short compared to all others?

>> To fit in the hole they store the tools in.

>I can't disagree that the shape and length of a purposeful "lug wrench" is
>designed just for removing lug nuts, so certainly that's why it's curved
>the way it is (to fit around the tire sidewall).
>
>Certainly smaller is easier to fit in a car.
>
>Since you can't use a torque wrench and a lug wrench at the same time, I
>was wondering if they made it just short enough so that a normal person
>could not apply "too much" torque to the lug bolts?
>
>Basically, I was asking if it's short because that way, a normal human can
>only apply about 85 foot pounds which is all they can do with that short
>bar and their hands?
>
>Is that just an urban myth?

I've never heard it and I don't think it's true.

It's a multipurpose tool. The tapered end is for removing hubcaps and
wheel covers, and the length is determined by what works for a jack
handle, on the millions of cars which have used this wrench as the
bumper jack handle. If they made it longer, and didn't use a stronger
grade of steel, one could bend it by standing on it. Indeed, I did bend
one that way, and that was when I weighed 170. If it was longer, a lot
of them would end up bent. Once they're bent, they're never as strong
again.