Old February 19th 18, 03:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
micky

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 18 Feb 2018 17:58:43 +0000, alan_m
> wrote:

>On 18/02/2018 17:18, ultred ragnusen wrote:
>
>> Since you can't use a torque wrench and a lug wrench at the same time, I
>> was wondering if they made it just short enough so that a normal person
>> could not apply "too much" torque to the lug bolts?

>99.99% of car owners don't own a torque wrench. The short green wrench
>is the cheapest that can be made (and to fit in with jacking tool kit)
>to get someone out of trouble when they have to change of tyre in an
>emergency. In many cases when the tyre has be installed from factory or
>by a the retailer using (air) powered tools most people would find it
>very difficult to undo the wheel nuts with that wrench. Much better to
>discard it and get something with a longer handle
>
>https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Aut...+Wrench/p93520
>
>or
>
>https://tinyurl.com/yag6ddqr
>

>> Basically, I was asking if it's short because that way, a normal human can
>> only apply about 85 foot pounds which is all they can do with that short
>> bar and their hands?
>>

>But don't most people jump on it using their whole body weight ?

Apparently most people don't even change their own tires, if you figure
that 90% of women don't and that's 45% of drivers. Plus what, 10, 20,
30% of men. Of those who do, most don't even think of standing on it,
or, I suspect, are afraid to do so.

Of course there are very few flats these days so getting good data is
harder.