Old May 24th 12, 11:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Default 2006 Wrangler won't start

Will Honea wrote:
> DougW wrote:
>
>> Will Honea wrote:
>>> Daughter called her "resident mechanic" tonight. After getting the
>>> whole story, it turns out that the starter isn't turning. I've put
>>> her thru the drill enough times that she checked the battery
>>> (headlights on, they don't dim when she hit the starter, etc.) It's
>>> a manual tranny so I told her to listen for the starter solenoid -
>>> no click. Does the 2006 4.0L 6 have a neutral safety switch and is
>>> is prone to problems with the ignition switch module like some of
>>> the older ones?
>>>
>>> Next step is the hammer to the starter routine ;-) Any further
>>> suggestions?

>> Got me on the NSS. I don't think they have one (based on
>> some remote car starter warnings)
>>
>> Fuse (22 I think) the 2006 had a habbit of eating them.

> Personally, I consider the NSS (or the clutch-activated alternative)
> to be worse than useless. Try using the starter to motor your way out
> of traffic with some of those "features"....
>
> Anyway, I called her back and found that her idea of a push start was
> two gals pushing while the third was steering and handling the
> clutch. Talk about pi**ing into the wind! Owner's hubby showed up
> and used his pickup to roll her down the road and it started first
> crack. She called her friend and the thing starter still was still
> AWOL so she passed on the hammer trick - worked like a charm but it's
> still starter time.
>
> What does the fuse "protect", anyway? All my stuff is too old for
> any of the books to help.

I goofed. (keep in mind this is an 2003 TJ)
Fuse 20 (20A) in the dash, powers the engine starter relay when
you want to bypass the NSS. (which is a clutch position switch)
So 20 basically shorts the NSS.
It's also a handy place to drop in a bypass switch with inline fuse.

Fuse 6 (30A) under the hood, goes through the starter relay and then on
to the solinoid.

Talk about overtaking the plumbing.

Fairly simple wiring

--