Old August 28th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Default Strange problem? Cluster lights dead but hazard lights ON instead?-02 Taurus

wrote:
> I have a strange problem with my wife's 2002 Taurus with "analog"
> cluster. When the parking/head lights are activated, the instrument
> cluster lights do not come on. Instead, the 2 hazard/signal dash
> lights come on (and do not blink.) The radio lights work and are
> still dimmed by the dimmer control. The hazard lights are also still
> controlled by the dimmer. The hazard system works, the headlight
> switch light works, the dome light works, and all the "warning" type
> lights are working. All else is working including the turn signals.
> This seemed like a fuse to me but all possible fuses check ok. At
> least all that are described with terms that sound relevant to me.
> (Any tips on which fuse these are truly controlled by?)
> I remember one of my old cars would turn some warning lamps on when a
> different fuse blew out or something. Kind of like a "heads up" that
> something's wrong. Is that why the hazard lights are coming on
> instead of the cluster lights?
> None of the instrument cluster area is lighting (other than the
> hazards.) Tach, shift indicator, gas, temp, and speedometer are all
> dark and were all working previously. I don't think they would all
> use the same lamp?
> Any hints or help would be greatly appreciated!
> Thanx
> John

That likely still means you have a bulb ground path issue like the old
days. This would be in the signal bulbs. Some signal bulbs also have
running light filaments in them. When one of these blows 'just' right,
it interferes with the ground path causing other things to light up as
it 'steals' a ground through them.

I would be looking very closely at the running lights expecting to see
one slightly brighter or dimmer than the others. I would be checking
this one first.

Sometimes you can also see a signal light dimmer when this happens.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...
Jan/06
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590