Old July 23rd 18, 10:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder

Default Clutch bolts and locktite

On 22 Jul 2018 23:09:49 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> You took out the cross member under the transmission, right?

Yup. And I'm glad I did as you need all the room you can get the first time
you do this job, especially since the transmission jack is kind of big.

> Do the
> engine mounts entirely support the engine, or do the transmission mounts
> play a part?

The engine is fully supported with the transmission out. Even so, I now
have a jack under it, just in case I want to move it upward to align things
on the replacement.

> In other words, is the rear of the engine trying to rotate
> downward and binding the transmission?

The problem was stupid. Really stupid. I am embarrassed. I removed the
exhaust bracket bolts (two of them) but I didnt' realize that the bracket,
even when not connected to the bell housing, was in the way of the bell
housing moving backward. I'm an idiot. It was all my fault.
I couldn't find a DIY that explained this as everyone has different exhaust
depending on federal versus cali and the engine most people have is
different.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9617515sticking01.jpg>

> I don't know your vehicle, but usually a jack under the crankcase does
> the trick. You're not trying to jack the engine up, just replace the
> support provided by the transmission you're trying to remove.

I have a jack under the engine now, but it's not needed for the engine.
It may be needed for adjusting angles for reassembly as the old diaphragm
(before I took it off the engine) seems off kilter when looking head (for
some reason).
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2755957sticking03.jpg>

While I can see the shift fork and throwout bearing in the bell housing
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2978407sticking02.jpg>

I haven't been able to see the pilot bearing or the rear oil seal.

Where is the pilot bearing? Is it under the throwout bearing?
Is the oil seal behind the flywheel?

I'm not sure if I can get that flywheel off as those bolts are tight and my
half-inch sockets are all only six point where you have to have 12 point:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7699843sticking07.jpg>

How important do you think the flywheel machining or replacement is?
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4230325sticking05.jpg>