Old March 8th 11, 06:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

Default Emissions test failure - no OBDII communication

On 2011-03-08, Mark > wrote:
> I have a '97 Lexus ES300 (131K miles). My Connecticut Emissions test
> failed today due to no OBDII communication. The guy said he couldn't
> get a reading. He suggested it could be as simple as a blown fuse or
> as complex as the computer itself.
>
> I did some search on google and various forums. It was suggested to
> check the cigarette lighter as an indicator of a blown fuse. My
> cigarette lighter works fine. I use that to charge my cellphone daily.
>
> What other fuse could I look at? Where would be the location of the
> fuse? If the fuse is fine, what else do I need to look into?
>
> I would appreciate any help I can get. Thank you in advance!

Could be a bent pin on his code reader too... it seems very odd that a
computer would just stop communicating. You'd probably know it if the
computer had lost power too.

You could try buying your own OBD2 reader or see if someone else's
works, like at auto repair place or parts store.