Old July 18th 17, 05:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Default Do the Toyota Camry headlight polishers actually work well?

Danny D. wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 16:26:14 -0400, Steve W. wrote:
>
>> NOW to keep the lights looking like new for a long time, spray them with
>> automotive 2part clear (you can buy it in a spray can or have a bo0dy
>> shop give them a spritz).

> Thanks for that suggestion as this is the first suggestion, I think, for an
> automotive "2-part clear" as the protective coating.
>
> Searching, is this what you mean?
> http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spr...clearcoat.aspx
>
> Or maybe this?
> https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...125/99984738-P
>
> Or, maybe more likely this?
> https://www.automotivetouchup.com/ur...clearcoat.aspx
>
>> This is how I deal with the yellowed/cruddy ones. They yellow due to the
>> UV from the sun, it kills the protective coating on the plastic.

> Does the irony of that statement ring true for you as it does for me?
>
>> The 2
>> part clear when you're done will restore that plus it will seal the plastic.
>> I use bulk supplies but the 3M kit includes enough to do a couple sets
>> of lights and it's good stuff. DON'T use a high speed drill with it, you
>> can burn the surface of the light.

> A lot of people are voting for the 3M kit components.
> Fewer for Sylvania and Blue Magic.

The 3M kit works very well. NONE of the chemical only kit's work. I've
done hundreds of headlights using the sand, polish, clear coat method.

The UV, age and other chemicals just destroy the lights. The plastics
have gotten better but some brands just seem to turn to crap faster.

https://repaintsupply.com/spraymax-3...sol-p3685.html
is a true 2 part clear in a spray can, if you don't have a spray gun.

or if you have a spray gun and know how to use it
https://www.automotivetouchup.com/ur...clearcoat.aspx
would work as well.

--
Steve W.