Old April 8th 12, 11:51 PM posted to aus.cars,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Starter solenoid current?

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 10:41:58 +0800, Paul Saccani >
wrote:

>On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 19:47:45 +1000, "Scotty" >
>wrote:
>

>>I'd be VERY surprised if it was over 10 Amps to be honest. a 4 mm2 cable.
>>Seeing as a 4mm cable is really only capable of 30 Amps for a reasonably
>>short time.
>>
>>Id be testing with an ammeter. 90% of ammeters have internal fuses
>>protecting the device anyway.

>That's a rather optimistic view of the effectiveness of the fuse. The
>fuse is intended for personnel protection - they rarely protect the
>meter from *high* currents - errant students demonstrate the art of
>meter destruction to me at regular intervals.
>
>They often blow the tracks away before the fuse blows, sometimes even
>the internal shunt goes before the fuse does.

The PROPER fast blow instrument fuse IS there to protect the meter -
and IS generally effective. Using a standard or slow blow fuse WILL
fry the meter. NEVER replace the meter fuse with other than the
proper quick-blow meter fuse.