Old July 30th 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default 10% Ethanol Gas Causing Poor Performance?

On Jul 29, 9:05 pm, wrote:
> My Beetle's engine has been running hot, gas bubbles in the carb, and
> it doesn't have the performance it used to have?
> I checked out everything like:
> * Tune-up and
> * compression check
>
> Do you think it might have anything to do with the 10% ethanol Gas?
>
> Any help will be appreciated!
> Thanks In Advance!

I found two good links.

http://www.vw-resource.com/additives.html#ethanol

Here is a quote from the link above:
"However, no one has picked up the subject of older carbureted cars.
The addition of ethanol to gasoline causes big problems in a VW
engine, as ethanol makes the engine run 4% leaner. To compensate for
10% ethanol in gasoline (called E10 in some places), you must increase
the main jet by two steps (e.g., from X125 to X130) and the idle jet
by one step (from 55 to 60), as 10% ethanol makes the engine run 4%
leaner."

Here is another good link:
http://aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resour...es/jetting.htm

Here is a quote from this link:
"Why Jet? If it's too rich, the extra fuel will wash the oil off your
cylinders and wear out your pistons, cylinders, and rings quickly (no
oil), in addition to building up deposits on your valves, heads, and
piston tops. If it's too lean, the engine will run very hot, misfire,
and can eventually lead to a burnt valve(s). Get it right!"