Old June 21st 12, 04:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Larry[_21_]

Default new battery - about 5yrs

On Jun 19, 12:32*pm, "ps56k" > wrote:
> Just replaced the battery in our 2001 Grand Cherokee.
> So, the orig battery was 2001, then replaced at 2006, now again at 2012.
>
> This would imply a general life of about 5 or 6 years.
>
> Since I was stranded in a Home Depot parking lot,
> and had a really hard time jumping the battery
> and then keeping the engine from stalling out... for some reason...
>
> Would it be better to be pro-active and just replace batteries every 5
> years,
> or wait for the eventual internal failure and being stranded... even with
> always having jumper cables
>
> --
> / _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
> No Good Deed -
> * * * * *Goes Unpunished

I got 5 years out of the first battery and two years out of the second
one, so five years is sounding pretty good to me. Considering that
alternators literally abuse a battery, i.e, charging to fast in cold
weather, five years is really good.

I also have a 2001 GC and when the battery is dead forget about
attempting to drive it. There is not enough power to run the fuel
pump unless you can keep the engine at a high idle. That is why you
kept stalling out.

I did mange to limp to the repair place once I was able to jump start
it from my other jeep.

BTW this happened just after I had the radiator cap fail leaving a lot
of coolant on the driveway. So it was a weird time.

Larry