Old June 21st 12, 06:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Default new battery - about 5yrs

PeterD wrote:

> On 6/19/2012 4:15 PM, Frank_v7.0 wrote:
>> I live in Arizona and batteries get worked pretty hard. I'll go 4 years
>> and replace. It depends a lot on your "climate". Consider it
>> preventative maintenance.

> Here in NH it is not unusual to get 10 years from a battery. The battery
> in my wife's VW Cabriolet is 13 years old and that car starts up like a
> rocket (sure, I know it may die at almost any time, but so far so
> good...) The battery in my Dodge truck is 8 years old, gets beat because
> I plow with the truck, and still is going strong (I give that one a year
> more perhaps!)
>
> Climate is the main factor, colder climates make a battery very happy,
> hot ones bake it to death in a few years.

Sounds pretty close to my experience in Colorado. When I bought the MJ the
dealer put in a new battery - obviously the cheapest one he could find - and
it lasted right at 10 years. The replacement Excide unit is 5 years old now
and still tests at 100% rated capacity.

Biggest killer for me has always been the mount. If the battery can bounce
around it usually goes in a hurry.

--
Will Honea