Old August 8th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Dioclese

Default How to change outside temp reading from Celcius to Fahrenheit 2001 Volkswagen Golf GTI VR6???

"Stuart H." > wrote in message
newsc0mk.4210$%b7.281@edtnps82...

> nutso fasst wrote:
>> "dave AKA vwdoc1" wrote:
>>> OK this car used to show the outside temperature in the dash in

>> Fahrenheit,
>>> but after some a/c work it shows it in Celcius now.
>>>
>>> How to set it back to Fahrenheit? I believe it must be easy but have
>>> searched the internet and found little to nothing.

>> I found 2 possibles:
>>
>> 2006 GTI: to toggle between reading F and C, "hold down the auto and econ
>> buttons at the same time."
>>
>> Passat: "Press and hold the recirculation button. Then press the
>> temperature
>> up ("+") button to switch between degrees Celsius & Fahrenheit on the
>> Climate Control Temperature and Instrument Panel Outside Temperature
>> displays."
>>
>> nf
>>

> Why not just use Celsius like the rest if the world? (GRIN)
>
> Stuart in Canada

For human comfort levels, Farenheit is more incremental/decremental in terms
of degrees given a temperature variation, not changing a degree within
Celsius. Thus giving the human a better idea of comfort externally, degree
for degree, using Farenheit vs. Celsius. Bad idea using Celsius for that
purpose.

Metric vs. standard regarding tool sizes, nuts, and bolts is an entirely
different argument. Don't mix apples and oranges regarding "the rest of the
world".
--
Dave