Old August 13th 18, 01:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tim R

Default ignition hard to turn

On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 5:58:27 PM UTC-4, John_H wrote:
> Tim R wrote:
>
> >It's an older Chevy. Occasionally the key didn't want to turn, but enough jiggling and I could get it to start.
> >
> >Now it's every time, and I'm never sure I'll get it.
> >
> >Would spraying lubricant into the keyhole help, or make it worse?

> Better to use powdered graphite (or a dry lube stick) applied directly
> to the key.
>
> --
> John H

I'm wary of powdered graphite. Sometimes it can cake into dried mud.

I tried all three keys. All have the same problem. It acts like when the steering wheel is in the wrong position, preventing the key from turning. But if we play with it enough eventually it frees and turns.

I put a drop of STP on the key and tried that. It improved the action greatly, when it isn't stuck. It doesn't seem to have reduced the getting stuck.