Old November 4th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Chumley Doright

Default Transmission is done

" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I am in need of a new transmission (auto) since the transfer case on my
> old one has been wearing down and has spit metal flakes all into my
> tranny and completely wore it down beyond repair. I took it to my
> local tranny shop and they had to take it apart to find out what was
> srong and now they are saying they already have $500 worth of work into
> it taking the tranny out ( which also includes putting it back in) and
> they will not let me give them a tranny that I could easily buy and
> install it (I hate that rule). So I am stuck with the decision of
> either A). letting them do the work and putting a new tranny in from
> Ford for about $1900 or upgrading to what they call the "bullet proof"
> version and paying another $1,000 for it, or B). taking the loss on the
> work they already did ($5-600) and getting a used t-56 and putting it
> in. I really have wanted to do the conversion to a manual tranny but
> the cost has prohibited me but if they already have the old one out I
> tried to get them to agreee to put a maual in but they won't use my
> parts. I am totally torn here and on top of all that I don't exactly
> have the money to do any of this (credit is a bitch ain't it) so I am
> not sure what to do. I wanted to get everyone's opinion on what they
> would do so fire away. Thanks in advance guys.
>
> Heartbroken in AZ
> 1990 Mustang GT with 77,000 ORIGINAL MILES
>
> Sean

That is an old transmission shop trick, pull it out say its broke, and your
stuck.

Ask another shop how much it cost to put one in, (either type) they may even
just tow the car over there and put in a rebuilt for much lower cost (I did
that once, it was about 1/2 price).

I do not know the auto to manual path, but you would need a clutch too, and
all that stuff.

that is a lot of money to put in a car worth $2000 to $4000 or so.

I could only drive a manual.

Good luck.

87 5.0 155k miles when I sold it
93 5.0 8# Keene Bell has 145k miles