Old September 11th 09, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Default 83 rabbit exhaust-help

Let us know what they say!

I have not heard of the cat in the muffler, but maybe! lol

"chris" > wrote

snip

I am in a state that does not do emissions tests.... whether it is
legal or not I doubt I would get called on it (anytime soon that is).
Still I just hate the idea of driving around without a converter. My
car even smells noxious, I am certain they removed the cat. I also
checked out my receipt today and no note of a charge for a catalytic
converter. I am really thinking they messed with my car. I'll be
calling them on it tomorrow, I guess we will see what they have to say
for themselves.

Someone mentioned to me that they might have used a muffler with a
built in catalytic converter? I had never heard of that as even an
option. Do those exist? If anyone has any info on this I would be
interested to hear it. Also I have heard that without a cat your car
is more likely to trap extra unburned fuel in the pipe and is possible
for it to start on fire. If they built the cat into the muffler would
this still be a concern? I am perhaps a little weird and keep a small
fire extinguisher in my car but that does not mean I ever want to use
it!

Thanks so much to all of you.

Cheerio,
Chris