Old June 30th 04, 08:28 PM
Zathras

Default 156 Engine Under Tray With Air Scoop.

The old fibre undertray had seen a bit of action since 2001 and was
battered and hanging down badly. Most of the rear and side mounting
points on the tray had fractured and were useless, the centre rear
section was torn apart causing the whole thing to sag in the middle.
It was all held up with heavy tape and tie-wraps. Enough was enough!

The new one (80UKP) is interesting in as much as it appears to be
polythene instead of the previous brittle fibre board. Also it has a
large 10-12 inch air scoop from near the front towards the rear on the
RHS as you look at the car from the front. It seems to scoop in about
10 inches in front of where my A/C dribbles water! (Measurements are
guesses after a quick glance tonight!)

I wonder what this air scoop is doing? Is it anything to do with
engine bay temperatures going sky high in hot weather with the A/C
running flat out? I've had this 'cook' the front suspension bushes
such that they creak, groan and squeal REALLY loudly. No, the bushes
weren't worn at the time and silence resumed when they'd cooled down.

I recommend the 'upgrade' if you've an old battered fibre tray! I
don't recommend 'doing without' as there have been several cases where
the feeble tray has stopped the sump getting perforated!

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)