Old August 2nd 18, 07:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Default Advice for stripped threads upstream oxygen sensor exhaust manifold

Arlen Holder wrote:
> On 2 Aug 2018 05:39:22 GMT, Arlen Holder wrote:
>
>> b. Drill it out and helicoil it (nothing to lose really)

> Googling, I'm not yet sure a helicoil will work on a through hole.
>
> I think all lambda sensors are 18x1.5 (I'm not sure, but people said that
> on the net). Some say it's the same thread as for spark plugs.
>
> If it's the same as for spark plugs, this might work, maybe?
> https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...2002/5014964-P
>
> Napa seems to sell a thread chaser for spark plugs, if it's the same thread
> as spark plugs...
> https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SER730
>
> This bung might be able to be welded on by a shop if the threads are right:
> https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...plug-kit-3735/
>
> The manifold is almost five hundred bucks
> https://www.carid.com/eastern-cataly...46&url=4700416

Same threads as a spark plug. The easy repair is a plug rethread kit. It
has an oversized insert with a self guiding fluted cutter/tap
combination. Then you trim the threads on an insert so they don't block
the sensor tip. Screw it into place and screw in the sensor. About the
third time you drive the car that insert will become a permanent part of
the manifold.

Very common repair, done all the time.

--
Steve W.