Old November 3rd 11, 02:46 AM posted to aus.cars,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bernd Felsche[_2_]

Default Starter solenoid current?

D Walford > wrote:
>On 03/11/2011 1:31 AM, Bernd Felsche wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>> "Bernd Felsche" wrote

>>> Why not put an ammeter in series?

>> Because it could fry the poor thing ...
>> Most multimeters maxo ut at 10 Amps.
>> I suspect that it could be 30A, if not more.
>> Bosch book says 30 to 70A, depending on the size of the starter.

>That's a hell of a current to be going through the switch, it would be
>very unusual for there not to be a relay?

Since you ask; not unusual. They're probably counting on the current
being intermittent.

As the at least 8 million vehicles of that type have exactly that
same starter wiring, from 1983 to 1992. And probably another few
million Jetta clones produced in China over the past 20 years with
the same.
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | For every complex problem there is an
X against HTML mail | answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
/ \ and postings | --HL Mencken