Old November 5th 11, 12:19 PM posted to aus.cars,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

Default Starter solenoid current?

On 11/4/2011 10:21 PM, Paul Saccani wrote:

> Easiest way to find out is to stick a clamp meter on it. If you don't
> have one, as usual, I can offer to loan you one and you can decline
> the offer.

<BSEG> Careful someone may take you up on that!

> It also depends on what timescale you want to look at. As an
> inductive rather than resistive load, the current can have quite wild
> transients, but for average current, 3 to 10 A would be typical for a
> pre-engaged starter, and a clamp meter would be able to provide the
> average current no worries.
> ]

Many (better) clamp-on meters have a peak read feature that will save
the highest reading as well display the current value. Very useful for
seeing start-up surges.

> If you do want to know in more detail, and inductive probe and a
> storage oscilloscope and a good deal of calculation would be needed.
> A short loan of the equipment is possible....

Again, some DVOMs have RS-232 or other computer output that may allow
similar features.

Ah, but we're over testing, I think, the OP's problem!

--
I'm never going to grow up.