Old May 17th 18, 12:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Default Alternator connector glowing red hot after jumping veh with other battery

> wrote:
>My 99 Explorer had been running fine. Tonight I left my lights on, killed t=
>he battery - which is about a week old from Walmart. Boosted it with anothe=
>r battery I have that happens to be good. Car fired up but the connection n=
>ut with the rubber boot at the top of the alternator started glowing red ho=
>t. Obviously can't run it like that.
>
>Any ideas what's happened? Never encountered this before.=20

Your alternator is shorted to ground internally. Either because it got a
brief reverse polarity spike or just because it failed from age. You may
be able to get the diodes in the regulator replaced or you may have to
swap out the whole thing.
--scott