Old August 6th 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

Default Tranny Input Shaft Seal Install Tool - Help Please!

> What kind of home made sleeve tool can I make that does not require
> welding to install the tranny input shaft seal?
>
> I was thinking of a flat washer just a little smaller diameter as the
> input shaft seal and a short piece of pvc pipe and a rubber mallet.
>
> Thanks In Advance!
> Any help will be appreciated!

If you are talking about a type 1 transaxle, I've always been able to
install it with a block of wood(short section of dowel rod is very
nice) and a few light taps with a hammer. Or you can use the blunt end
of a screwdriver and a hammer if you have a screwdriver that you don't
particularly care if the tip gets damaged(read: craftsman
screwdriver). PVC pipe would work as well, the idea is to not hit the
seal so hard that you damage it, and make sure that you drive it in
square with the bore.

Chris