Old October 6th 04, 08:26 PM
Chad Leigh

Default 97 Jetta GT rear brake caliper bracket bolts stripping

Hi

Yesterday I successfully replaced the rear brake disc and pads on the
driver side rear wheel on my 97 Jetta GT. I had to go to Sears and
Checker Auto 2x each to get various tools, a halogen light as it got
dark, and other things :-) but it was successful. I used both the
Bentley and Haynes manuals.

Today, with my knowledge gained yesterday :-), I am doing the passenger
side rear. However, the two bolts with the female hex openings that
hold the caliper bracket seem to thoroughly be rusted in place. I have
soaked them repeatedly with some super penetrating rust buster I bought
as well as some WD40. Using a socket male hex end I have been trying to
loosen them up. On one of them, the socket ratchet suddenly gave way
and the inside seems to be stripped out :-( and the other one has been
damaged inside but not yet stripped when the male hex end suddenly
popped out.

I would like some hints and help on how to get these bolts out (
obviously they will have to be replaced).

I am wishing that VW used standard bolts with normal hex bolt heads (
outside) so I could use a normal socket. They are easier to control...

Thanks for any hints and help
Chad