Old October 6th 04, 08:46 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Chad Leigh wrote:

>Today, with my knowledge gained yesterday :-), I am doing the passenger
>side rear. However, the two bolts with the female hex openings that
>hold the caliper bracket seem to thoroughly be rusted in place. I have
>soaked them repeatedly with some super penetrating rust buster I bought
>as well as some WD40. Using a socket male hex end I have been trying to
>loosen them up. On one of them, the socket ratchet suddenly gave way
>and the inside seems to be stripped out :-( and the other one has been
>damaged inside but not yet stripped when the male hex end suddenly
>popped out.
>
>I would like some hints and help on how to get these bolts out (
>obviously they will have to be replaced).

I suggest pounding the hex wrench into the good bolt. What is that
-- 7 mm? Also grip the outside of the bolt head with a good ViseGrip
pliers. Tighten the wrench as much as you can. Apply torque with
both tools at the same time.

For the bad one, perhaps you can pound a slightly bigger wrench
inside. instead of 7 mm, you might get a 9/32. If it is 8 mm, try
to find a 21/64. Perhaps somebody will know of an easy-out.

On the other hand, perhaps pounding the allen wrench and the
ViceGrip extra-tight will be enough even on the bad screw.