Old April 17th 05, 08:48 PM
jjs

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message

> It could, if it was mostly empty. It's the fumes that explode, gasoline
> alone won't.
> Gasoline doesn't even burn.

Never seen it happen.

> For gasoline fumes to ignite and explode, the air/fuel ratio needs to be
> within certain limits, too.

I sure won't say that gasoline isn't dangerous. There's a reason it is
classified (in the USA) as an explosive, while nitro-based gunpowder is just
'flammable'. I was in a gas explosion - a real boom and ball of fire. This
was a case of spilled gasoline, and a saturated source that fed it. The
fumes must have run across the ground then ignited behind me. I was well
away from the source but the fire ball burned my hair and eyebrows. It went
away as quickly as it happened and I continued towards the source. Someone
was closer and unlucky.