Old November 2nd 11, 08:27 AM posted to aus.cars,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Scotty[_2_]

Default Starter solenoid current?

"Bernd Felsche" wrote in message

Something I don't know ... and can't seem to find out all that
easily.

I'm trying to figure out the current draw by the starter solenoid,
(not the starter motor) at terminal 50.

It's powered through the ignition switch in the Golf GTI but the 4mm
wiring has me baffled. That's too much current to go through a
little ignition switch if the wire is sized for current capacity.

So I assume it's sized to avoid voltage drop, which leaves me none
the wiser regarding the current actually drawn by the starter
solenoid.

Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning, Perth, Western Australia
ASCII ribbon campaign | For every complex problem there is an
against HTML mail | answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
and postings | HL Mencken
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><>

Use a multimeter if you have one. The size is usually for volt drop. The
actual solenoid Id imagine wouldn't draw much at all.
I'd take a wild guess at 7 or 8 amps for modern cars. the cables that size
as when cranking it needs the full voltage other wise it will do what you
call Motor Boating.
that is where the voltage drops too low to maintain the solenoid and it
drops out during cranking. As your still holding the key to the start
position it will re-engage as the voltage increases now the starter isn't
engaged, it keeps doing this until either a contact burns out or usually the
person trying to get to work takes the bus. (or its jump started of course)

Do you know that clicking sound when ya batteries very flat? that's it.