Old November 13th 19, 04:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

Default 2004 camry le 4 banger - how do I find the right front brake pads

On 14/11/19 2:22 am, Ohderii_Cruiser wrote:
> Xeno > suggested:\
>> On 13/11/19 7:43 am, Ohderii_Cruiser wrote:
>>> Ohderii_Cruiser > suggested:\It
>>> turns out the friction code is GG for the Centric pads.
>>> Centric 301.09080 stamped CEN 30109080 31AC9101 GG 02 B19
>>> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_02.jpg
>>>
>>> Four steel rubberized backing plates came with the 4 front pads.
>>> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_03.jpg
>>>
>>> The hardware kit P117.44068 came with 4 holding clips & 2 wear sensors.
>>> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_01548.jpg
>>>
>>> Does anyone know why the deep slit in the friction material is there?
>>>

>> It's to remove gas buildup from between the pads and the discs. It's
>> the exact same reason discs are often slotted or drilled. If the
>> gasses from the pad surfaces, that build up under extreme braking,
>> isn't provided with an escape path, the pads act like mini hovercrafts
>> skating over (*above*) the disc surface resulting in a total *loss* of
>> friction. Guess what that does to your braking ability!

> Is that gas discharge why the edges are chamfered also?
> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_03.jpg

No, the chamfer helps to reduce noise - as in brake squeal. It prevents
the pads developing a high speed chatter (vibration) that creates the
squeal. It is also the function of the shims behind the pad. Some people
use brake paste behind the pad to dampen the chatter thereby reducing
the squealing tendency. Whatever works...

It also promotes even pad wear - so they say - but I'm not sure how it
manages that.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)