Old November 14th 19, 10:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

Default 2004 camry le 4 banger - how do I find the right front brake pads

On 14/11/19 3:50 am, Ohderii_Cruiser wrote:
> Xeno > suggested:\
>>> Is that gas discharge why the edges are chamfered also?
>>> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_03.jpg

>> No, the chamfer helps to reduce noise - as in brake squeal. It
>> prevents the pads developing a high speed chatter (vibration) that
>> creates the squeal. It is also the function of the shims behind the
>> pad. Some people use brake paste behind the pad to dampen the chatter
>> thereby reducing the squealing tendency. Whatever works...
>>
>> It also promotes even pad wear - so they say - but I'm not sure how it
>> manages that.

> Thanks for explaining the chamfer is to reduce noise.
> I had asked the internet supplier for pads meeting the OE spec.
> He gave me these Centric GG pads which are "ceramic".
> Do you think a GG NAO or ceramic or semi-metallic would brake the same?

Probably not since they are different compounds. Since all might be GG
rated, then the actual braking effect itself might match to a degree,
where they will differ is in their ability to handle and dissipate heat
and, equally importantly, manage *disc rotor wear*. Bottom line, your
choice of brakepad type will be determined by your driving style. The
ceramics would be fine for most use and their manner of operation tends
to contribute to longer disc life. On the other hand, if you tow heavy
loads or are a bit of a tearaway and brake hard, low metallic or semi
metallic might work better for you. The downside will be that those pads
will wear the disc much more.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)