Old November 14th 19, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ohderii_Cruiser

Default 2004 camry le 4 banger - how do I find the right front brake pads

Xeno > suggested:\
>> Thanks for explaining the chamfer is to reduce noise.
>> I had asked the internet supplier for pads meeting the OE spec.
>> He gave me these Centric GG pads which are "ceramic".
>> Do you think a GG NAO or ceramic or semi-metallic would brake the same?

> Probably not since they are different compounds. Since all might be GG
> rated, then the actual braking effect itself might match to a degree,
> where they will differ is in their ability to handle and dissipate heat
> and, equally importantly, manage *disc rotor wear*. Bottom line, your
> choice of brakepad type will be determined by your driving style. The
> ceramics would be fine for most use and their manner of operation tends
> to contribute to longer disc life. On the other hand, if you tow heavy
> loads or are a bit of a tearaway and brake hard, low metallic or semi
> metallic might work better for you. The downside will be that those pads
> will wear the disc much more.

Thanks for that additional information about the wear of the rotors which I
hadn't thought about until you said it. The GG is only the friction but
there are other things to consider but most of which we would never know.

I really only wanted OE quality at decent prices.

I think the GG must mean the braking is similar to a degree as you said,
simply because the friction is the same between GG ceramic, NAO, and
semi-metallic, but within a wide range of whatever the GG range allows.

But that GG says nothing about anything else, as you said.
I wish I could have found a lookup for the original pads friction rating.

I was surprised that the parts supplier sent me a GG pad by the way.
Does the rating go any higher than GG or is GG as high as it gets?