Old August 30th 11, 11:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bernd Felsche[_2_]

Default Golf 1.8 Mk III SE (same as GL.. ADZ engine) not starting.. help!!

Gizzard > wrote:

>Sorry, in a bit of a blind panic when I wrote that post.

>Car is 1996, ADZ engine, manual, 90k on clock.

It's still "new"! ;-)

>It's at the garage now. Mechanic says car started first attempt,
>but carb is flooded with oil ! Couldn't get the computer to
>register it

Check the crankcase ventilation. Some of the vacuum connections to
the injection housing may be leaky. Also, ensure that the dipstick
is firmly seated and not leaking.

>Oil in carb sounds ominous from what I've seen online..

It's throttle-body injection.
Bosch Mono-Motronic.

Electrically, confirm that the engine has a good "ground". There
should be a ground strip at the cylinder block where the loom and
electical controls have a common ground.

Check the loom and connection to the throttle positioner and the
injector. Also, at the distributor, make sure that the Hall sensor
connection at the distributor is good and clean.

It's a worry that you are unable to connect to the engine management
unit. If you're using a diagnostic unit that works with similar
vehicles (e.g. a Ross-Tech one), then the first problem to fix is
the inability to talk to the Mono-Motronic unit.

Check the basic throttle settings once you are talking to the
computer.
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | For every complex problem there is an
X against HTML mail | answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
/ \ and postings | --HL Mencken