Old September 4th 11, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

Default Golf 1.8 Mk III SE (same as GL.. ADZ engine) not starting.. help!!

On 9/4/2011 6:00 AM, Gizzard wrote:

> What is the best way to determine if the engine is fried on the cheap?
>
> I am just uploading a clip of smoke to youtube now.

That's a major ouch...

Check a good parts store for a 'products of combustion in coolant' test
kits. They are inexpensive (disposable) and will tell you if you are
getting blow-by past the head gasket. Another test is to do this (it is
not an absolutely foolproof test...)

1. With engine cold, remove radiator cap to ensure there is no pressure
in the cooling system. Replace cap.
2. Start engine and idle for about 30 seconds MAX.
3. Check for pressure in the cooling system... If there is pressure,
then there is probably a problem. No pressure do steps 4 and 5.
4. Start engine and idle for about 2 minutes seconds MAX.
5. Check for pressure in the cooling system... If there is pressure,
then there may be a problem. No pressure usually indicates that there is
no leakage past the head gasket.

Also, for grins, disconnect the battery, let it sit for a few (say 10)
minutes and reconnect to reset the ECM.

--
I'm never going to grow up.