Old May 7th 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Great Car Audio System

> :
> Is it a common perception that a great car audio system is or must be
> loud and boomy, i.e. high bass. I don't know if that is an essential
> characteristic of a good car audio system since there will always be
> the engine noise to overcome.

No, it (loud, boomy bass) isn't an essential characteristic of a good
sound system. To my ears, a good sound system is one that plays the
music clearly and over the engine noise. Just MNSHO, but a sound system
that is heavy on bass to the point of making the car's body panels
rattle just plain sucks.

> Are there any car audio systems that can deliver comparable depth and
> richness of a good home audio system, while parked with your top down
> in an open air environment like a scenic outlook or a park? Just for
> your personal enjoyment but not necessarily to get attention.

Your best bet would be to talk to a professional car audio installer (or
two). Tell them what you want and they can put together a system to do
what you want. IMO, at the minimum, you are looking at a set of speakers
for your car (good speakers will make even a factory dash unit sound
pretty good). A dash unit/CD changer and an amplifier would also be
helpful.

Have fun, while at the park or scenic outlook, please be considerate of
others...