Old May 12th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Fred G. Mackey[_2_]

Default secret compartments in autos

Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On 12 May 2007 18:12:16 GMT, Jim Yanik > wrote:
>

>>I recal reading somewhere that there was a law against having secret
>>compartments in an auto?
>>
>>Anyone know more about this?

> Go here
>
> http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_n16745963
>
> it's what I found with a quick google search. Looks like this bad law
> may have been declared unconstitutional. It's just another law
> demonstrating that your gvt has no respect for your rights.

IIRC, that was one of the charges brought against Snoop Dogg last fall.

Apparently, secret compartments are standard equipment on some cars:

http://resanium.com/blog/?p=97

I ran across this article too:

http://judiciary.senate.gov/oldsite/330200rg.htm

<quote>
Trooper Perry called for the K-9 unit from the second patrol car. I said
I wanted to watch the search and we got out of the car. The dog walked
around the outside of the vehicle. The dog did not “alert.” He did not
bark, scratch, whimper or sit down, although the trooper kept patting
certain areas of the car and would not let the dog walk away. Even
though the dog did not alert, the second trooper patted the right wheel
well and claimed that the dog had alerted. He said he would conduct a
full scale search now. I have been trained in using dogs and thought
that the search was highly improper and unusually suggestive.

Trooper Perry ordered Gregory and me to get back into the car. At this
point, I became really worried that the Troopers were going to plant
illegal contraband in my car. Trooper Perry then got the drill and took
over the search. He began drilling under the carpet at the feet of the
passenger side. Trooper Perry came back to the car and stated that he
had found “something.” The two troopers spoke privately. I was then
accused of having a secret compartment in my car that had drug residue
in it. This compartment was actually a footrest that was a feature of
the car.
</quote>