Old May 12th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

Default secret compartments in autos

Ashton Crusher > wrote in
:

> On 12 May 2007 18:12:16 GMT, Jim Yanik > wrote:
>
>>I recal reading somewhere that there was a law against having secret
>>compartments in an auto?
>>
>>Anyone know more about this?

> Go here
>
> http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_n16745963

I saw this one.

> it's what I found with a quick google search. Looks like this bad law
> may have been declared unconstitutional. It's just another law
> demonstrating that your gvt has no respect for your rights.

That ruling holds only in Illinois.(I agree the ban is a bad law.)

After some Google searching,I've found GA,MA,CA,IA,SC,NC and AL all have
laws prohibiting secret compartments in vehicles. That's not a complete
list,just what I've found so far. Some states also make it a felony to MAKE
a secret compartment,others go by "intent"(thoughtcrime) to hide
contraband,but make no mention of legal items being hidden.

I suspect other states also have similar laws.

I believe it derives from the War on Drugs.
I asked because of a debate about leaving firearms in cars and them getting
stolen.A hidden compartment would make it much harder to steal a
handgun,since it would not be easily discovered by a thief.

Problem is,the ban is not consistent across the entire country,so one could
be legal in your home state,but not in others,if travelling by auto.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik