Old May 13th 07, 07:13 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

Default secret compartments in autos

In article >, Fred G. Mackey wrote:

> http://judiciary.senate.gov/oldsite/330200rg.htm
>
><quote>
> Trooper Perry called for the K-9 unit from the second patrol car. I said
> I wanted to watch the search and we got out of the car. The dog walked
> around the outside of the vehicle. The dog did not ?alert.? He did not
> bark, scratch, whimper or sit down, although the trooper kept patting
> certain areas of the car and would not let the dog walk away. Even
> though the dog did not alert, the second trooper patted the right wheel
> well and claimed that the dog had alerted. He said he would conduct a
> full scale search now. I have been trained in using dogs and thought
> that the search was highly improper and unusually suggestive.

Isn't this *EXACTLY* what jaybird told me -NEVER- happens and I was just
paranoid? ? The cop just says the dog alerted or he makes the dog
alert.

> Trooper Perry ordered Gregory and me to get back into the car. At this
> point, I became really worried that the Troopers were going to plant
> illegal contraband in my car. Trooper Perry then got the drill and took
> over the search. He began drilling under the carpet at the feet of the
> passenger side. Trooper Perry came back to the car and stated that he
> had found ?something.? The two troopers spoke privately. I was then
> accused of having a secret compartment in my car that had drug residue
> in it. This compartment was actually a footrest that was a feature of
> the car.
></quote>

The rest of the story gets even worse.... just the sort of thing I'm told
doesn't happen. It's congressional testimony though.