Old September 2nd 11, 10:50 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Default FFB

GaryR:
> >Pat Dotson:
>>I'll be interested to hear from anyone else who tries what Mario
>>recommends. I messed around with it for a bit just to see what would
>>happen. It went about as well as I expected.
>>
>>Mario, has anyone else ever confirmed your results? Has even one
>>other person ever responded positively to your posts on FFB?
>>
>>The FOV stuff is hilarious, BTW

> I tried, it was a joke. If he feels that those settings in any way
> approach real life (and I DO drive a race car) he needs (different)
> medication..

Where you can have problems:
You got to set hight of screen ("DrivingVanishY"), latency
("cockpitLookDeadZone") and FOV.
FFB signal is something like hi-fi, you got to have clean,
undisturbed signal. You got to get rid of compression-like things, other
noise and delays. For example, iRacing's AA and AF works like a compression
(I presume). Use video card AA and AF. Use no-limit fps. And things like
that. Use USB port that doesn't share resources with other things. I disable
all I/O ports that I don't need. And things like that. Dirtiness,
compression and delays affect FFB.
Regarding how much it approaches real life. The way I am using FFB
is the standard made by inventors and productors of FFB and FFB devices.
They should know what they are doing, and it is advisable, if you are using
FFB devices, to use them per their standard. If you don't use them like
that, you can expect to have below average results.
I don't get constant clipping, if I would drive my wheel with the
strongest force it can produce, I wouldn't be able to drive a car, and I am
getting 1:57 at Suzuka, with fixed Corvette setup. Even more, I am just
testing FFB, and when you are testing FFB your last lap should be driven
like your first lap, otherwise you lose reference points, and you musn't
improve your driving line, or anything, the improvement in time must be
solely because of the improvement of FFB. Of course, I cannot resist to
improve on my driving line a bit, but this definitely isn't some major
effort, and I do have some room to improve times, when I finaly set the FFB
correctly.

Mario