Old November 15th 18, 06:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Default Can I drive my car if the thermostat is bad

Liz wrote:
> replying to Steve W., Liz wrote: Steve my heater blows cold air.
> Someone told me it's my thermostat any feed back for me? Its a 97
> town car lincoln

There are a few things that can cause that, a bad thermostat is one.
However there are a few things you can check.
One - is the coolant full?
Two - Start the engine. Let it run about a minute. Now put your hand on
the upper radiator hose. Is the hose warm? If it is there is a good
chance the thermostat is stuck open. With it closed the coolant should
stay in the engine and the hose shouldn't be heating up yet.
Three - After it has run for a while touch the two hoses that feed the
heater core. With the heat ON they should both be about the same
temperature. If one is hot and the other is noticeably cooler you have a
bad heater core and the coolant isn't getting through it.
Four - If all the above seem to be correct and working properly it can
be that the blend door inside the heater case itself isn't moving. That
would likely be a bad actuator or controller.

If you want a more in depth reply along with images and such you can
visit 2CarPros.com. It's a free site where we answer automotive
questions. Be sure to give as much information as you can about the
vehicle please.

--
Steve W.