Old January 1st 10, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

Default 2000 3.5L Odyssey Cylinder Head Removal Help

On 12/31/2009 04:37 PM, Geo wrote:
> I am about to remove crankshaft bolt but have conflicting procedures
> from two different repair manuals on how to align the camshaft marks.
> I'm hoping someone here has the knowledge to clarify. I have the
> crankshaft pulley marks aligned, but I am not sure which of the
> camshaft marks I am supposed to align. One set of instructions says to
> make sure the rear camshaft pulley marks align and the other says to
> make sure the front camshaft pulley marks align.
>
> At present the crankshaft marks and the front camshaft marks only are
> aligned. I notice that the valve positions on the rocker arm are not
> all exaclty at the same height. When looking into the engine from the
> front of the car the two on the upper right and ones on the lower left
> are noticebly lower than the others. Doesn't look right to me. I want
> to be 100% sure I have everything aligned properly before removing the
> crank bolt.
>
> Note: I need to remove the front cylinder head only if possible. I
> think I remember reading somewhere that I cannot remove one cylinder
> head at a time on this vehicle and that I have to remove both? Is this
> true? Loks like they can be removed separately but maybe I'm missing
> something.
>
> Really hope someone can shed some light, any help would be much
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,

the only reliable manual for this info is the honda manual - you don't
mention what you have so my guess is that you googled here, saw the
usual [but learned from experience] reactions to the haynes crap, then
decided not to fess up to owning one.

regarding heads, the usual reason for removing both is that you need to
do the same clean-up on both. to be sure the job's done right that is.
just like most people replace the water pump when doing a timing belt.
however, unless there is some mechanical gotcha like connected
hardware, and provided there aren't any problems with your diagnosis as
to why you only want to change one, you can remove just one head and
you'll not notice any ill effects. but if your diagnosis is not
correct, you've just done a bunch of work that you'll have to do all
over again. why are you removing it? what is the problem?