Old April 27th 13, 06:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default swing axle nuts - Guru advice appreciated.

tricky > wrote:
> I'm no guru, but you might try new axle nuts.
> I have found when things wont stay tight, new ones will.
> Richard

Yep, I know what you mean I had trouble like that maintaining nuts
and bolts on railroad switch points. He might need new ones if the
theads feel loose or look "dulled" down any.

But. I -believe- it's just a matter of getting the nuts tighter than
he got 'em. That's all. BTSeenT

I was told in early '75 that...

"get 'em as tight as you can, then tighten 'em just a little bit more "

Never had a problem with old junky crap that we'd sometimes use.

What I did was to get a stick of the larger-size of bed-frame and
drilled two holes that matched-up with two holes on the drum and
used it as a home-made "second hand" tool long before I ever saw a
picture of one for sale.

....then use a -real- wrench, not a sissy 1/2" breaker bar and socket
(that's got way to much spring in it to tighten anything big).

I used a 1+7/6" (~36mm) combination wrench and a big enough piece of
EMT, after being hammered kinda flat, so it'd fit over the open end
of the combimation wrench. Really clunky but it worked great!

Later, at the swap meet just happened to find two cut-off boxed-ends
(cut from combination wrenches I guess) one was 1+7/16" (~36mm) and
the other was 1+13/16" (~46mm) so always wondered if they weren't
modified for VW axle nut use. LOL

The thing is... it's -light- work! ...if you've got the right tools.

Alvin in AZ retired RR signalape