Old May 13th 09, 11:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

Default Starter motors and alternators - which to buy?

On May 13, 5:34*am, wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is an ignorant question I'm hoping there is an easy answer to:
> who makes the decisions when it comes to which brand of starter motor
> or alternator?
>
> Is it the auto electrician himself? Do they have preferred suppliers
> and are they incentivised to stick with them?
>
> Do consumers have any say in which brand they should choose from?
>
> Stu

You can always ask what brand will be installed, but most likely it'll
be whatever brand the auto parts store stocks that they call on a
regular basis. If the auto parts store doesn't have it in stock they
will either order one from their own warehouse, or go to an outside
source and get another brand so the installer will have it quicker.
Unless the installer is an authorized installer of a particular brand,
they usually don't care what brand they get as long as it works.

The mechanic usually doesn't have a say in what brand is being
installed. It all depends on the auto parts store that is called.
Shops usually stick to a few suppliers and usually call one more than
the others. (usually the cheapest price wins most of the time)

If you want a particular brand installed you might be better off
purchasing it yourself and then having a shop install it for you. The
bad side of doing this is the shop won't cover the part if anything
goes wrong with it, and usually the labor charge is more if you supply
your own parts.

Chas