Old May 13th 09, 05:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve B.

Default Starter motors and alternators - which to buy?

On Wed, 13 May 2009 02:34:47 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Here is an ignorant question I'm hoping there is an easy answer to:
>who makes the decisions when it comes to which brand of starter motor
>or alternator?
>
>Is it the auto electrician himself? Do they have preferred suppliers
>and are they incentivised to stick with them?
>
>Do consumers have any say in which brand they should choose from?
>
>Stu

From my experience the shop doesn't care what brand. They have a
preferred supplier and use whatever that supplier brings them unless
it is a specialty item then it usually comes from the dealer.

You can ask them to use a certain brand and I imagine they will. Some
shops will also install one that you bring but they won't give you any
warranty so that is a pretty bad option to choose.

Steve B.